10 Tips for Getting Your Boat Ready for the Season
It might still be too cold for you to launch your boat, but boating season will be here before you know it. By preparing your boat for the season now, you can make sure your boat will be ready to go as soon as you are. Here are 10 tips to keep in mind when handling your boat’s spring commissioning.
- Start by examining your hull for any problem areas like blisters or cracks, and take care of any needed repainting or repairs. Then wash and wax your boat.
- Look over your propeller for any dents or dings, which can hurt your boat’s fuel efficiency.
- Check that your battery is charged and connections are clean. If needed, top off your battery with distilled water.
- Check your oil and top off your fluids. See if your spark plugs and fuel filters need to be changed.
- Inspect your wiring electrical connections to make sure they haven’t been gnawed on by any rodents over the winter.
- See that your hoses and clamps are in good condition, and replace them if necessary.
- Make sure your bilge pump is working properly.
- Take a look at the condition of your dock and anchor lines to see if they have any chafing.
- Check the expiration dates on your fire extinguishers and flares.
- If you trailer your boat, make sure to inspect your trailer. Check the condition of your tires, inspect your lights and brakes, and look over your trailer frame for any rust.